Friday, December 07, 2007

Mommy Guilt

Well, I really enjoyed NaBloPoMo and all, and then December hit, and my good posting juju just went out the window. So today, I decided to use a prompt to help me limp along and keep bloggin'. While randomly searching the internet and reading everyone's blogs (you are so right, Tara, it is fun but can be a colossal waste of time, like when I could be doing dishes or even taking a NAP), I found this website that does something called Flaunt it Friday and this week's topic is Guilty Pleasures.

So here we go. Here are some contenders for my top guilty pleasure:

1. Obviously, blogging and browsing blogs on the internet is a great guilty pleasure for me. I sort of feel like it's wasted time because of all the other things I could be doing (see above) but I must admit, it makes me feel connected with the world in a way that I can't really get otherwise. Therefore, it's worth it. My husband may not agree, but he might change his tune if he saw how cranky I'd be without it.

2. Chocolate. Yes, I'm diabetic, so it's not like I eat it a lot, or a lot of it. But still...ever since I got pregnant with James, just the thought of chocolate brings me mental images of decadent desserts and of me alone in a Godiva store with my choice of any and everything I want. This is funny because I never used to have much interest in chocolate. Crazy hormones! But since I don't indulge much, for diabetic reasons, that probably doesn't count.

3. Grey's Anatomy. I really don't think it's good writing. I don't think it's a show that's reflective of real life. I really can't stand how the storyline is so predictable sometimes. But still...I love getting caught up in the (fake) drama and all the fun and funny medical-ish-ness that I can enjoy. And of course, my favorite part about it all is that I can enjoy it with my husband, who loves to sit and watch it with me and make fun of the bad writing. So since it adds to my relationship with my husband in a fun way, this probably can't win either.

4. Sleep. I could do it just about anywhere, anytime, for any length of time, at least at this point in my life. When I think of things I'd rather be doing, sleep is always number one. On the rare occasions that I do get to sleep in, I feel like I've won the lottery. At the same time, even when I'm sleeping in I'm thinking about how I don't want to get up when the time comes...I just want to stay in bed a leetle bit longer. But I'll be honest, I don't feel so bad about that. We have been through sleep torture the last few months, and it's sort of a biological necessity, so that's out.

4. Reading. When I started writing this post, I really thought this one would win. I can read through just about anything, anywhere, and I have a way of getting caught up in the book such that I can have entire conversations with people and have no idea what was just said because I was busy focusing on the lines on the page in front of my face. But...reading is my escape, similar to blogging, but with more happy endings. (Not that blogging is sad or anything, just that books tend to have an ending, period, whereas blogs don't.) And I can't see that it's particularly bad for me as long as I can tear myself away from my latest trashy romance novel or weighty parenting tome and pay attention to my family.

Hm. So what is my biggest guilty pleasure?

I think my answer is going to be pretty boring, now that I've decided: alone time. This is the Big One because whenever I get it, I'm so relieved, I feel so great, I get to CHOOSE FOR MYSELF WHAT I'M GOING TO DO! I don't have to be touched! I can pee all alone! I can THINK without being interrupted! But...I always feel guilty, because I love my husband and son more than life itself, and how can I enjoy my time alone so much when I know it's just cutting into the time I get to spend with them? So, I usually go rushing back to them, because I do miss them. But I still need that alone time.

Anyone else want to share your guilty pleasures?

N.B.: It's funny, the blog where I found this topic suggested that most women's guilty pleasures are things that we know are bad for us, but ultimately, most of mine are things that I probably need but still feel bad for. What's that about? I'm thinking it's the Mommy Guilt Complex talking....needing to be everything for everyone and not taking anything for myself in the meantime. We need to work on that, ladies, and get rid of it! Let me know if you have any suggestions.

7 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Greys Anatomy is one of mine too. And I feel the same way you do about the writing, plots, and other stuff, but I am drawn to it every week!! Have a great weekend!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Candi said...

I am a type 2. I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with my first son and when he turned one, I was diagnosed as type 2 :(.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Elin said...

I think alone time makes us better moms and better wifes. After Snorri was born - and was sleeping during the night I found myslef so relieved when the I was the only one awake, and could finally just sit in the quiet house doing something for me!

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Susana. Good point! There are things we feel we need but still feel guilty for! Seriously, what is up with that! It must be a woman thing, since you probably won't find any men sitting around feeling guilty for fulfilling their needs!

Thanks so much for participating. HOpe to see you back for next week's challenge.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Penny said...

One has to have alone time - so important for sanity.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm. Let me see. Are there any pleasures I DON'T feel guilty for?

Alone time has to be way up there, just because I so rarely get any. That is getting better, though, now that Sandra and Charlie have each other figured out.

How about: reading THE PAPER! It takes at least an hour, and then another one comes the next day. I couldn't possible take an hour EVERY day just to read the news that is given on TV in ten minutes.

Here is my true guilty pleasure: watching OU football games on television. Again, because it uses up three to four, or more, hours of MY LIFE. But there is absolutely no NEED involved, just sheer waste-of-time-want-to.

yeah, a good football game on my semi-big screen TV can go a long way to making a weekend seem like fun when it's mostly just me working like mad to get ready for the next week.

Great topic! Can't wait to see more comments. btw, Christine is an IDIOT for letting Burke get away. Which means she is a perfect best friend for Meredith.:)

mama

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Devra said...

Like you, I a former anthropologist! (University of Arizona)I think the mommy guilt thing is part of our culture as parents. Dad's have it too, but it's a bit different for them. Aviva and I think it is more "frustration" rather than a global guilty feeling like what moms express to each other. We agree with you that moms do feel guilty about taking time for ourselves, but time for ourselves is a "must have" so put yourself on your own priority list. It's good for our kids to see us do grown up stuff, because we are giving them a preview of adulthood. Kids need to see into that world and who better to show it to em?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home