Monday, August 18, 2008

Thirty Years Later...

So, I'm sort of obsessed with people giving their children horrible names. There's just a mesmerizing quality to the discovery that someone somewhere thought it was a good idea to name their child Ivan Odor or Seal Miranda. (Both of those are real but I'm too lazy to find the links right now, sorry.)

I haven't really thought about this topic too much lately, although I do wonder what some of my pregnant friends will end up naming their children. (Specifically, I'm most interested in what Elin's baby will be named, but not because it will be bad...because I don't know much about Icelandic names and I'm fascinated by THAT also. In a much better, healthier way. Icelandic names are interesting because they're foreign to me, rather than because they remind me of a train wreck.)

But Jimmie brought this name issue to my attention recently, and now I can't decide whether to thank her or curse her. You see, she wrote this blog post about bad baby names the other night, and so I sort of had it in my head when I had to run errands this afternoon. There's a certain place we have to go to fairly frequently, and there's a woman there whose name I always wonder about. You see, her name is Ravyshyng, and I always would think to myself, hm, what country is THAT name from? Or what's the story behind THAT?

And then, today. I was standing there, face-to-face with her nametag, when the truth hit me like a giant flying dog poo. RAVEE-SHEENG, RAVEE-SHEENG, I was thinking to myself.

Ohmygodhernameisravishing. RAVISHING!

Thirty years ago, this woman's mother (parents?) named their little tiny precious defenseless baby Ravishing.

That is so not okay with me. WHY, GOD, WHY?

10 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jimmie said...

Oh. my. gosh. That has to be one of the all-time WORST names out there. Ravyshyng? Really?

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger rach cortest said...

That is hilarious and you are even funnier. love,rachel

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Aidan&Peytons Mama said...

Wow! I can't believe someone would name their child that name. Poor thing.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Elin said...

We probably won't have a name until the baby is actually born! But I'll keep you posted!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my mother was a nurse at Milwaukee County Hospital she had a male patient whose name was Vaseline Rosemary. It's the truth!

Mom

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another comment - Ben's Great Grandma Thelma Clark (Colleen's mother) was given the name Marsha when she was born but it was not made legal at that time. When the child was 5 or 6 they were able to choose their own legal name and she chose Thelma. They sometimes do things oddly in southern Illinois! As far as I can recall this is what Colleen told me a long time ago. Mom

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger OUWxGuesser said...

I googled Ravyshyng and I found this mid 20s lady from NC on myspace... hmm....

The sad thing is at first I thought it was some sort of name Bangledash.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Mem said...

i one had children in my class named twierea and twinerea they were identical twins- i also knew a set of brothers names orangejello and lemonjello. seriously.

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What on earth were her parents thinking?!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Concerned Commune Member said...

When flipping through a book of Catholic saint names/Catholic baby names, I came across...

wait for it...

Candida.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home