Thursday, November 01, 2007

Nice to Meet You

Hi. My name is Susan. For those of you who normally read this blog and am wondering why I'm introducing myself, this month is NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month), so I'll be posting every day this month! For those of you browsing, welcome. Here is a little bit about who I am.

I'm an anthropologist. I study people. I watch people. Sometimes I also like to talk to them...sometimes I'd rather contemplate what their actions and statements say about their beliefs and their culture. Wanna talk about ideologues or Mitochondrial Eve? I'm there. Wanna discuss emerging infectious diseases or cross-cultural AIDS treatment strategies? I'm your girl!

I'm also a mommy. And a daughter. A sister, a best friend, and for my "baby" sister, a sistafriend. I'm an auntie since June (hi Charlie!). I'm a wife, confidante, and lifelong laughing partner to my husband Ben. I'm not only a mommy, right now I'm also my son James' biggest fan. And his food taster, chauffer, nurse practitioner, teacher, interpreter, cheerleader, snuggler, and bedtime snack. (Yes, we're still nursing.) Because of my son, I have become a doula, a natural birthing advocate, a long-term breastfeeder, a babywearing expert.

I'm a thinker, a writer, and a talker; an avid reader. Some would say I speed-read, but they're wrong! (This means you, Ben.) I read at a pace that is comfortable to me, and if that happens to be faster than everyone else's pace, well, so be it. I'm a Type I diabetic--something I don't talk about much but which drastically affects my life on a daily basis as well as in the long term.

Some days I feel like I can't get anything done. Some days I remember that my most important jobs don't always lend themselves to a checklist that can be crossed off at the end of the day. My daily goals are to love my family, gently raise my son, and try to make the world a better place. My life is chaotic and messy and fun and funny and exhausting and glorious.

Hi, I'm Susan.

2 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Elin said...

Hi Susan! Perhabs I should blog every day this month too! I just wanted to say great job on the nursing part!
We never made it to the first birthday, but I applaud those of us who do!

-Elin and Snorri.

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being Susan!
And keep up the good work, even if it is not on the "to do" list. At the end of the day, you will have done a lot that is not quantifiable in our culture. What our culture SHOULD value as opposed to what it DOES value is always in conflict. Don't let the bean counters get you down! If you and your family have good food to eat and clean clothes to wear, you have accomplished what is important. I praise God every day for the fabulous success that is your life!
Lots of love,
Mom S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home