Friday, February 23, 2007

Overheard in Babies R Us

Husband, registering for baby shower gifts, to his obviously pregnant wife: "Honey, do you think we should get a wipes warmer?"

Wife: "No, we don't want to spoil him."

Oh my Lord! How can I even begin to address the problems here? First, I should add that of course they then proceeded to register for all manner of crapola that is completely unnecessary and, in my humble opinion, pretty worthless. Now, far be it from me to say that a wipes warmer is a necessary baby item...but I also cannot envision how, exactly, one would spoil a newborn child. Let me think...Cold wipes leading to frozen little bum versus warm wipes leading to relative comfort when having diapers changed...Nope, still not seeing it. If anything, I would call that a kindness. Oh well.

Now let's continue with this idea of "spoiling" a newborn. As mentioned, they registered for a ton of flashy toys and bouncy seats and Baby Einstein videos, etc, etc...but it's the wipes warmer that will spoil him? Hm...still I am confused. And while I'm at it, I'm sort of confused by how it's possible to spoil a newborn, period. A 2-year-old, okay, I can see that, but a 2-week-old? Nope. Not possible. They need what they want and they want what they need, period. And I'm pretty sure they're not gonna get snappy with you if you refuse them a wipes warmer, even if, God forbid, they come to expect it. But anyway...

Back to the subject of things that are necessary for babies....this feels a little tangential, but as I am also feeling chatty, let's proceed, shall we? As time goes by and I get more parenting experience under my belt, I really have begun to feel that the only truly necessary piece of baby gear is some sort of comfortable sling. I can see, and in fact have employed, ways to get around without just about everything else, but not that. Although if you're going to be traveling in a car, of course a carseat is necessary for safety. And one could wish for perhaps a hat and socks for the pieces of a baby that might stick out of a sling....and perhaps a diaper, if one is not using EC. (Which, by the by, we are not, although we are trying to use the easier ideas to prepare ourselves, a la Analise, for early potty training.)

Why am I talking about this? Because I need a new sling. But Susan, don't you already have several slings, you ask? Well...yes...but only one of them is strong and comfortable and flexible enough for me to wear James in it on my back, and it happens to be made of fleece...a little hot for the upcoming spring and summer weather. I like this one, what do you think? A little pricey, I know...so I'm trying to figure out if I can make one or have a friend make one for me. Also...the reason we were at Babies R Us is that we "need" a new carseat to accommodate our growing boy, and a high chair as well...so tell me what you think of these: car seat (Okay, not really that pattern...we're not that diehard) and high chair. But, as I may have mentioned....I'm still debating how necessary these things really are. Do we really want to spend our money on these? I don't know. They may not be necessary...but they sure are nice to have! And that, my friends, sums up how we here at la Casa de Baranowski feel about wipes warmers. Be kind to small bottoms, dear readers, be kind.

(Completely unrelated side note: Yes, I know, it's been far too long since our last posting. But first our camera decided not to work, then we had internet problems, then I got food poisoning, then my sister came to visit and got sick while she was here, then Ben had a test and was very very very busy at school and then....you get the picture. And now you know why I've been rambling, because we can't show you the latest pictures of our delicious baby boy yet. But someday soon I will post lots of pictures, God willing, because one of my Valentine's Day resolutions (since we are so behind the times that we totally missed New Year's) is to post at least once a week. I promise. So check back soon! Until next time.)

5 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note that I did not have a high chair for any of you kids. And the crib was a changing table for you, and was completely put away when Sandy was born. I did have a dandy little sling that turned ANY chair into a baby seat. When I was with you, I was wishing for a high chair so that James could sit in the kitchen with me, with a nice tray to hold toys, books, Cheerios, etc., or that he could bang on. So I think you are being sensible about the high chair. I have seen high chairs that convert to toddler chairs. They look very sturdy, and would no doubt last through as many kiddoes as you'd have!
I tried so many different car seats that I can't remember them all. Good luck with that necessary evil. Car travel will improve greatly when James is big enough to face forward.
My favorite quote about spoiling is from LLL: babies are like fruit, they spoil only when ignored or put on a shelf.
Hugs and kisses to all of you,
Mom(Stephanie)

 
At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I accidentally posted this on an earlier blog entry....

Tonya is completely and totally sold on this baby wrap: www.mobywrap.com I know nothing about it, except that she loves it so much, she's going into business to sell them!

As for the other stuff, I guess I'd have a more valid viewpoint if I had actually gone through this, but I think that a carseat that will last till 100 lbs (I've seen some by Britax) is pretty amazing...and a pretty good investment, considering it should last as long as your kid would need to be in some sort of child seat.

For the high chair, my parents never used one with me, but they did get some sort of seat that attaches to the table (not sure if that really meets today's safety standards...haha) so that I could eat at the table with them.

Hope you guys are doing well! I can't wait to see more James pics, and I hope we see you all before too long!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Ana, Emery, and Ollie's Mama said...

I just love that you linked to my favorite blog post.

My advice is to splurge on the sling. I know how much you will use it so you should get your money's worth and then some!
If you have room around your kitchen table, I would just get an inexpensive seat that attaches to one of your chairs. Save some money there.
The carseat is a good one and I think James will like it. I noticed a marked improvement in Ana's car riding comfort when we changed to the big chair.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Elin said...

We have a car seat similar to this one, it's Graco Cosmic XTP and reverses, and Snorri will be able to use it untill he is able to sit in a car without the support of a car seat. Probably the best buy we made in this whole baby-stuff buying game.
- The high chair is a neccessary in my house hold. With a very independent 1 year old - and a very strong at that, I would never let him sit in a chair attached to a kitchen chair, he would just flip the whole thing, along with himself on the side. - so high chair, second best buy in the baby-stuff buying game.

Best wishes from Iceland!!
-Elin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home