Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tribute to my mother and my diabetes.

Mom, most of the time I don't even think of you and my diabetes in the same mental sphere. You are two very different parts of my life. I am blessed to have you, and I can't say I always feel the same about my diabetes. In fact, diabetes is the one major part of my life that I could really do without, while you are a wonderful mother and grandmother, and a cherished part of my life.

But today is World Diabetes Day as well as your birthday. So I was forced to think of you both together. Thus I present you with...

Some Things You Two Have in Common:

You have been central to my life for as long as I can remember.
You have shaped my character, made me strong and compassionate.
You frequently influence my decision-making.
You and I have shared our good times and our bad times. The highs and lows alike are unforgettable.
You gave me a sense of responsibility that most of my peers achieved much later in life than I did.
It was especially hard for me to deal with you during my teen years.
I may not always have liked the things you do, but I respect you greatly.
You have taught me how to find answers for myself, how to trust my intuition and knowledge of myself more than checklists and formulae and well-intentioned advice.
At times, you make me laugh hysterically.
The older I get, the more I appreciate how very different my life would have been without your influence.
I am thankful for all you have taught me about life and about myself.
You may not always be with me, but you will always be a part of me.

Happy Birthday, Mom. And Happy World Diabetes Day. May there be many more happy birthdays, and may WDD be unnecessary because we find a cure!


P.S. For those of you who are curious, I found this list of "19 essential facts about diabetes" over at What Is Diabetes. Thought it was very helpful for those who don't know these things. It's short and to the point, which is also helpful.

2 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice birthday gift! thank you for your love and for being such a great daughter and friend.
I love you and I love being your mother!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Albert said...

Thanks for finding my blog and mentioning it in this post! I hope people were able to learn a thing or 2 about diabetes through it.

- Albert

 

Post a Comment

<< Home