Thursday, November 08, 2007

Good-bye to a Good Friend

About 13 months ago, I arrived in Raleigh, exhausted from the last six weeks: I had had a baby, gone back to work two weeks later, quit work and moved out of my house (and in with my mother, and away from my husband while he moved here ahead of us) two weeks after that, and then, finally, another two weeks later, driven cross-country with my 6-week-old son. We moved from a 3-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom apartment, I went from "primary wage-earner" to "stay-at-home mom," and a million other changes that made me feel like my world had melted away and left me stranded on a foreign planet.

So I went to a La Leche League meeting, desperately hoping for some kind of human contact, hoping to meet someone who might be a little friendly, someone who I could talk to during the long days when my husband was at work and I was all alone with my tiny infant, the rest of my world being at least a thousand miles away in Oklahoma.

And there I met Megan. Thank God! She noticed my feverish need for a "mom-friend" and invited me to lunch with the girls. We made plans to get together once a week for much-needed postpartum exercise, lunch, and conversation. And I began to look forward to Mondays for the first time in my life!


Seriously...Her act of kindness saved me from becoming that old lady who never gets out of her ratty old housecoat and slippers, hears voices inside her head, and has a bag of Doritos as her constant companion.

Or something like that.

Anyway, Megan is moving to Texas. We are heartbroken...for more than one reason.


Remember that shirt that says "I make milk, what's your superpower?" Well, Megan definitely has that power, but she also has the power of her winning personality, which I know will make her move much easier. Texas is lucky to have her (and Eric, and Ana, and Emery....but what will happen to Asul?!?).


Megan, I know we haven't seen much of each other in the last few months, but you have been a great friend and we are going to miss you terribly! I look forward to watching Ana and Emery grow up via your blog, and I can't wait for that phone call to talk about your vaccine seminar. We'll be thinking about you as you have to move around with not one but TWO small children...let me change that to we'll be praying for you!

Keep on bloggin'.

3 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Ana, Emery, and Ollie's Mama said...

Awww, a whole post devoted to me!!! I love it. I thank you also for your friendship and look forward to our continued friendship in cyberspace (not to mention telephones!). I can't wait to hear where you guys end up in a year or so. I think you know where I will be voting!

Thanks for all your prayers, I know I am going to need them.

Megan

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I can hardly keep up with you posting daily! I love it though! Take care!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Aw I'm sorry! It is so hard to have a friend move away, I hate that empty feeling you have when they're gone! Big hugs!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home