Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The problem is...

...I have all these really good ideas for posts, and all these fun and entertaining things to say, during the middle of the day, when I have no computer and no internet.

Then Ben comes home and it's dinnertime, then we play outside or do T-Tapp, then it's bath and bed for James, then shower for me, and then it's 9 or 9:30 and I have 10 minutes to myself before I have to get ready for bed...and I'm not exactly feeling inspired anymore. Heck, I can't even remember the topic of the post I had planned, most days.

Oh, and my internet doesn't always work at those "free times," either.

Anyway, today I was thinking about this great series of posts about my favorite books, like Susan's Complete Parenting Bookshelf, including categories like Essential, If You Have Time, and Throw It Away. But I just don't have time or energy to write much about that now. Not only did we have the normal routine to get through, but we also went to a friend's birthday party and then weeded out our garden plot tonight, so you're lucky I'm even managing to type.

Thus, I will someday find the time to upload pictures from our trip, and I will find a way to write about my favorite books, but in the meantime, leave a comment about one of your favorite parenting books, or regular books, or thoughts on this topic. Or whatever else you feel like telling me about. ;)

And just before I go I have to say this: of course no one NEEDS a book to know how to parent their child. Many of my favorites are not necessarily technique books but are absolutely necessary anyway. Like Having Faith, which I reviewed last year. It's a beautiful, devastating, galvanizing read and YOU SHOULD OWN IT. But it doesn't exactly have tips about how to handle a temper tantrum or anything. Just so you know.

Sweet dreams! ZZZZZZzzzzzzz......

1 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm, favorite parenting book. That would have to be "How to Raise a Healthy Child" by Robert Mendelsohn. It set me free from depending on doctors, and gave me confidence that my ideas were sound. Next, and not less important, would have to be Joseph Chilton Pierce's "The Magical Child." It gave me so much insight into the perspective of a child, and so much solid information about what to expect a child to be able to understand at each age, that it revolutionized my approach to child-raising and to education. These books were pivotal moments in my growth as a parent and teacher.
Don't forget Burton White's "The First Three Years," though. Another book that changed my life was "Immaculate Deception" by Suzanne Arms. Not exactly about parenting, but more about birthing so that you start making your own decisions before the baby is even born.
Mom S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home