Monday, January 21, 2008

So Sue Me


I know I have been slacking in my blog-posting duties lately, but come on, people! We've had a lot going on here. Now I present to you a random list of some of that stuff, because I am too lazy and tired to coherently organize my thoughts.

1. Last Friday I started taking care of a new baby, which I will now do most weekdays from about 8 to 5:30. He is 6 weeks old. Again, I'm just crazy! But it went well that day and I have a minute to blog today, so obviously, I'm not fulling regretting it...yet. Stay tuned for more updates on that situation later! Oh, and if you live in the area and want to have a play date..CALL ME! We need to get out more to make the days go by faster.

2. Oh, and I'm also going to be taking care of a 2-year-old on Tuesdays and Thursdays--but only for 4 hours or so each day. I'm not TOTALLY crazy...am I?

3. Ben's HUGE GINORMOUS MOST IMPORTANT TEST EVER starts Thursday. For those of you who are grad-school savvy, that would be his Qual. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
So that's made our life a little crazy lately. People seem to think that with a husband who's a PhD student, I should have it easy because "he doesn't work." They are insane. He works all day, every day, and some nights, and weekends...it seems like it never ends. But luckily, if all goes well, he'll be done in a year and half! Yay!

4. And then there's always the Anti-Sleeping Toddler. Did I mention that he did sleep through MOST of the night last night, after waking up every 30 minutes from 8:00 p.m. to midnight? Yes, he did...but the 4 nights before that? Up for at least 2 hours, every night. JOY JOY JOY! I love the 18-month growth spurt. It is my favorite thing EVER!

5. Okay, but seriously, at least I can see that he does have all these crazy new skillz now...he learns like five new words a day, and this time, he's actually SPEAKING them. So no, he's not deaf, Devin! =) It is crazy cool how much fun it is to watch my child grow.

6. We just completely rearranged our apartment to adjust to having this baby around all the time. And then our apartment complex asked us if we wanted to move into the newly renovated place downstairs. Oops! So now we have to decide if we want to move or not. Lots of goods and bads to moving. Not sure what we'll do. Just another thing to take up time and mental energy. Hm.

7. It snowed! And James loved it. We even made a (small, pathetic, completely grass- and leaf-filled) snowman. =) See?


That's all the news I can think of right now. Plus I want to go do some other stuff while I get the chance. (Both kids are napping right now, can you believe that? It's surreal to me how well the nap thing is working out...so far. Keep sleeping, babies!)

Cheers!

8 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger sandra and sir charles said...

hey! both links go to the same one! I was hoping to see what tyler looks like now...so put the right link up sista!!

love,
Sandra

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Ana, Emery, and Ollie's Mama said...

I hear you on number 3!!! They don't "work" per se, yet they are always working. Miss you, Megan

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Jimmie said...

See, I'm still of the mindset that these Ph.D. students (at least my husband, anyway) have it way easy, compared to "real world" jobs.

Let's see...they can sleep in if they are tired and work a little later if they feel like it...they can take off and run errands or go to an appointment or just do whatever if they are so inclined as long as whatever they need to do for school gets done at some point.....at least an hour of every "work day" is spent goofing off in someone else's office....if you spend too much time goofing off during the week, you can always get your work done at home or on the weekends. :-p

In the real world, I have to be at work by 8:00 a.m. and stay until 5:00 p.m. If I need to run an errand or go to an appointment, I have to take vacation or sick time. If I am goofing off in someone else's office, I get in trouble. If I don't get my work done during work hours, I get fired. :-) I don't get to take it home with me or come in on the weekend because it's easier to get stuff done then.

Yep, I think they do have it easy. I still give Aaron crap for not having a "real" job while I am supporting his perpetual student habit. Oh well, someday he will (hopefully) support me. :-)

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Susana la Banana said...

Well, life IS always a trade-off...but...

I think one of the nice things about a "real world" job is being able to leave it at the office...when I was working "out there" I never had to worry about all the stress, huge tests of my mettle and comprehensive knowledge of EVERYTHING, or being kicked out if I didn't perform at the top of my game 24/7 (Now, yes, you can get fired from a "real world" job, but I think it generally takes a lot more bad work to be kicked out of the real world job than to lose your funding, for example. And of course every job is different--but that includes different PhD experiences too!)

Also of importance? The fact that real-worlders don't have to worry about money so much! We are flat broke, and that makes life that much more stressful because we're hanging on by a thread. AND students NEVER get good health insurance, so we have the added stress of never being able to get sick or break a bone, etc.

AND...there is really no way to compare this part, but of course you know that it's different with a child! Ben definitely can't sleep in whenever he wants, although it is nice that he can come to James' doctor appointments most of the time and stuff like that.

But you also indirectly proved my point...because my #3 wasn't as much about the difficulties for BEN as the difficulties for ME! Like the cartoon Aaron sent us the other day about PhD widows. LOL. ;)

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Jimmie said...

Ahhh, yes, I definitely don't know what we would do if both of us were in grad school or if I wasn't working...or if we had a child in either one of those situations.

So, I have to admit, that Ph.D. experiences are even different (Ben's vs. Aaron's)...but sometimes it just seems so "unfair" that Aaron can sleep till 11:00am because he was up playing video games late the night before. :-p

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Susana la Banana said...

Ha ha! I remember feeling somewhat that way before we had a child, so maybe that's the key ingredient here! ;) Because Ben has to be more serious about his "work" now so we have enough time to get everything done in a day...his "gaming" has gone way down...also, maybe we are just a little resentful of the whole "gaming" issue to begin with? I know it sort of drives me crazy because it's so foreign to me.
But anyway...I feel ya! But it's not that way around here.

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on those naps! Take care of yourself, sweetie.
love you, mama

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woot @ the snow!

Hopefully the madness settles down soon :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home